D: Pudding! With Scotch in it!
- 2 TBsp unsalted butter
- 6oz dark brown sugar
- 2C whole milk
- 1C heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2oz granulated sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1oz corn starch
- 1oz Scotch whiskey
- 1 TBsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp smoked salt
- Melt the butter in a 2qt sauce pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the brown sugar and cook, stirring occassionally until the sugar has dissolved and the butter smells nutty, 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the milk, cream, and kosher salt, and bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, whisk the granulate sugar and egg yolks together in a large bowl, until smooth and thick.
- Add the cornstarch and whisk smooth.
- Temper the warm dairy into the egg mixture by slowly ladling ~ 1/2C at a time, while whisking.
- Repeat until around 1/3 has been whisked in, then add the rest.
- Strain the pudding base into the saucepan and reteurn to medium heat.
- Continue cooking, stirring occassionally, until the mixture is bubbling and thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in Scotch and vanilla.
- Separate into ramekins or bowls, cover with saran wrap, and chill for at least 4 hours.
D: So grainy… so grainy… I’m apparently absolute garbage at making pudding. The sugar just straight up wouldn’t dissolve smoothly, not sure what the deal is. This will need a second attempt. The flavour is very good, but I’m garbage at making pudding. We’ll see how next time goes.